LINCOLN TRANSPORTATION AND UTILITIES DEPARTMENT
949 West Bond Street, Lincoln, NE 68521, 402-441-7711
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 19, 2021
MEDIA CONTACT: Erika Hill, LTU Communications and Public Affairs, 402-441-7538
ScooterLNK Operations Resume Downtown
LTU adds five new scooter parking areas
Lincoln Transportation and Utilities (LTU) today announced that ScooterLNK has resumed operations downtown and added five new scooter parking areas in the Haymarket. Lincoln’s year-long electric scooter pilot program launched September 1, 2020, following approval by the City Council in 2019.
In the first six months of the pilot program, ScooterLNK tracked more than 33,000 trips. The average trip duration is 13 minutes with an average distance of 1.12 miles. The two vendors participating in the program are Bird and Spin.
“We want people to have fun and be safe while using ScooterLNK, the City’s shared micromobility program,” said Roberto Partida, LTU Transportation Planner. “To ride scooters safely, users must follow all of the riding and parking rules.”
Operating Rules include:
- Scooters are not allowed to be ridden on sidewalks. Riders can only ride scooters in the street and in designated bike lanes.
- Scooters are not allowed on multi-use paths or City trails.
- Scooters are not allowed on Lincoln transit/StarTran vehicles.
- Riders are urged to wear a helmet for safety.
- Riders must be over the age of 18 and hold a valid motor vehicle operator’s permit.
- All traffic rules, signals, and signs apply to scooter operation.
- Scooters must be operated with the flow of traffic in bicycle or vehicle lanes
- Riders must yield to pedestrians and walk scooters on sidewalks when parking
- Riders must not operate scooters under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Only one rider is allowed on a scooter at a time.
New parking locations include:
- “P” and 8th streets
- “P” and Canopy streets
- “Q” and 7th streets
- “R” and 7th streets
- “R” and 8th streets
Other designated scooter parking areas include:
- “R” and 13th streets
- “R” Street and Nebraska Union
- 16th and “S” streets
- 17th Street and Knoll Residence Hall
- 16th and “W” streets
Parking Rules include:
- Use designated parking areas if possible.
- Park scooters within the furniture/landscape area of the City sidewalk, next to bicycle racks, trash cans or flowerpots.
- Allow at least 4 feet of usable pedestrian walking space around scooters at all times.
Scooter parking is not allowed in the following areas:
- within 15 feet of intersections
- within Lincoln transit zones like bus stops, shelters, boarding platforms, passenger waiting areas and bus layover and staging areas
- within loading zones
- within disabled parking zones
- within the street furniture that requires pedestrian access like benches, parking pay stations, bus shelters, transit information signs, etc.
- on curb ramps
- on entryways to buildings or alleys
- on driveways
Users are also reminded to follow the City of Lincoln COVID-19 public health guidelines. Scooters are sanitized daily. ScooterLNK hours of operation are from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.
For more on the ScooterLNK program and informational maps, visit lincoln.ne.gov (search scooter) or contact Roberto Partida, LTU Transportation Planner at 402-440-7239 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on Bird scooters, visit bird.co. For more information on Spin scooters, visit spin.app.